The blinds industry has evolved over the past 20 years from a purely functional product into a plethora of window dressings. Not only do different types of blinds add aesthetic appeal to your home, with a wide range of styles and colours, even the most decorative blinds generally serve a functional purpose. Today we are breaking down some of the fundamentals of blinds as window coverings.
Broadly speaking the many different types of blinds can be grouped into the following categories:
· functional blinds,
· decorative blinds and
· fashion blinds.
Within each of these groups, one has an extensive band of values. While it is true that all blinds and window treatments have the following features in common:
· Light control, by allowing more or less light through the window,
· View control/privacy, through maximising or minimising how much of the window is exposed.
· Insulation, by preventing or permitting air in and out of the window, blinds can insulate you from the chill winds outside.
Some broad groupings of blinds are, for example:
· Venetian: available in a number of types, material and appearance options to suit your unique taste and style
· Roller blinds: these offer the same options as Venetian, with the distinction that Roller Blinds are usually made of a single, large sheet of the chosen material and appearance while allowing a similar level of control and versatility.
· Fashion blinds: stretch from novelties (e.g. Sheerweave, custom printed blinds, double roller blinds like Vision,) to decorative printed and plain colour elements.
When it comes to light control with different types of blinds, one differentiates between the following categories:
· Transparent (you can see it through it)
· Translucent (allows light to pass through it) and
· Opaque (block-out).
Any one of these characteristics is available in the various blinds groupings.
Blinds constitute an economic alternative to curtains as a window dressing. Contact us to find out more.